Astronauts Back On Earth After 9 Months Stuck In Space

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – NASA astronauts Sunita Williams and Barry Wilmore spent their first full day on Earth Wednesday after spending nine months stranded in space, a delay President Donald J. Trump blamed on the previous Biden administration.

The astronauts returned to Earth Tuesday following a spaceflight that was to last a few days but stretched into 2025 as the Boeing Starliner aircraft wasn’t safe enough to return with its crew.

The Starliner, which encountered helium leaks and propulsion issues when it reached the International Space Station, was undocked in September without Wilmore and Williams for a parachute landing in the New Mexico desert.

Since then, the Biden administration was allegedly slow to ask private space flight firm SpaceX CEO Elon Musk to help in rescue efforts, partly due to his ties to Trump.

However, soon after his return to the White House on January 20, Trump “prioritize the return of the astronauts, officials said.

“PROMISE MADE, PROMISE KEPT: President Trump pledged to rescue the astronauts stranded in space for nine months,” the White House explained on its official page on social media site X, formerly Twitter.

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk joined in, congratulating his company and NASA while thanking Trump “for prioritizing this mission!”

STARLINER ASTRONAUTS

Earlier this month, Trump said he “authorized” Musk to bring the Starliner astronauts back to Earth.

He also claimed that former President Joe Biden “was embarrassed by what happened, and he said, leave them up there.”

Trump critics say NASA decided to return Wilmore and Williams in August when it was ruled that the troubled Boeing Starliner wasn’t safe enough.

Yet, Musk seemed to confirm that Trump had been “prioritizing and expediting” the astronauts’ return.

He also claimed in the interview that SpaceX had offered to the Biden administration to bring the astronauts home sooner.

In a Monday post on his social media network Truth Social, Trump further asserted that NASA Acting Administrator Janet Petro agreed to his plan to “let our Astronauts come home long prior to the two-week period originally approved by NASA.” He added: “I look forward to seeing Butch and Suni.”

Petro acknowledged Trump’s influence in a statement accompanying NASA’s press release about the landing. “Per President Trump’s direction, NASA and SpaceX worked diligently to pull the schedule a month earlier,” Petro said in the statement. “This international crew and our teams on the ground embraced the Trump Administration’s challenge of an updated, and somewhat unique, mission plan to bring our crew home.”

LAUNCH DATE

NASA initially announced in December that the launch to pick up the astronauts, set for February, had been pushed to late March to give SpaceX more time to prepare “a new Dragon capsule” for liftoff.

The launch date was then moved back to mid-March—reportedly due to pressure from Trump and Musk—when NASA decided to use a “previously flown” Dragon instead.

That’s why astronauts splashed down Tuesday off the coast of Florida after having journeyed back to Earth inside a SpaceX Dragon capsule with NASA astronaut Nick Hague and Russian cosmonaut Aleksandr Gorbunov.

However, Wilmore and Williams repeatedly sought to dispel the notion that they were “abandoned” or “stuck” at the space station. “We don’t feel abandoned, we don’t feel stuck, we don’t feel stranded,” Wilmore said in February.

Earlier this month, Wilmore appeared to play down Trump and Musk’s claims that last year’s decision to extend the mission was politically motivated.

“The words they said, well, that’s politics. I mean, that’s part of life,” Wilmore added. “From my standpoint, politics has not played into this at all.”

Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

India’s Famed Evangelist Pagadala Found Dead
India’s Famed Evangelist Pagadala Found Dead

Pastor Praveen Pagadala, one of India’s most well-known Christian evangelists, has been found dead under alleged suspicious circumstances in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, Worthy News learned Wednesday. He was 46.

US President Trump Announces Tariffs Of Up To 49 Percent
US President Trump Announces Tariffs Of Up To 49 Percent

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Wednesday he would sign “a historic executive order instituting reciprocal tariffs on countries throughout the world” ranging from 10 percent to 49 percent.

EU Central Bank Warns Of Global Chaos Ahead Of Trump Tariffs Announcement
EU Central Bank Warns Of Global Chaos Ahead Of Trump Tariffs Announcement

European Central Bank head Christine Lagarde warned Wednesday that U.S. President Donald Trump’s planned tariffs will have a negative impact worldwide, with the damage depending on how far they go, how long they last, and whether they lead to successful negotiations.

FBI Gagged Hunter Laptop Story as Facebook Suppressed It to Appease Biden Admin, Messages Reveal
FBI Gagged Hunter Laptop Story as Facebook Suppressed It to Appease Biden Admin, Messages Reveal

The FBI ordered agents to stop discussing Hunter Biden’s laptop just hours after one of its own inadvertently confirmed its authenticity to Twitter, internal messages show. Ahead of The Post’s 2020 reports, the FBI had warned tech giants of a potential Russian disinformation dump resembling the laptop contents. Once the story broke, Facebook execs weighed censorship strategies to align with the expected Biden-Harris administration, according to a congressional investigation.

Israel Expands Gaza Offensive to Crush Terror Networks and Secure Strategic Zones
Israel Expands Gaza Offensive to Crush Terror Networks and Secure Strategic Zones

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz announced Wednesday that Israel is expanding its Gaza operations after heavy overnight strikes, with troops set to clear terrorists and infrastructure and seize territory for expanded security zones.

B-2 Stealth Bomber Presence Grows at U.S. Base Within Range of Iran, Yemen
B-2 Stealth Bomber Presence Grows at U.S. Base Within Range of Iran, Yemen

At least six nuclear-capable B-2 Spirit stealth bombers have been seen at Camp Thunder Bay on Diego Garcia, a remote U.S. base in the Indian Ocean according to satellite imagery analyzed on Wednesday by the Associated Press.

Russia Warns US Attack on Iranian Nuclear Sites Would Be ‘Catastrophic’ for Region
Russia Warns US Attack on Iranian Nuclear Sites Would Be ‘Catastrophic’ for Region

Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister issued a strong warning to the United States, cautioning that any military strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities would lead to “catastrophic” consequences for the entire region after President Donald Trump threatened the “bombing the likes they have never seen before.”