
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
NEW DELHI (Worthy News) – All 41 construction workers who became trapped in a tunnel in northern India after a landslide on 12 November have been rescued, officials say.
None of the men are thought to have been injured in the miraculous rescue operation, but the group are being given medical checks at a nearby hospital.
They were extracted one by one via a pipe 90 centimeters (3 feet) in diameter, inserted through the rubble of the collapsed tunnel in Uttarakhand state.
The state government hailed the rescue as “good news… for the entire country”, and the Indian prime minister saluted the trapped men’s “inspiring” courage and patience.
Marathon efforts to free them from the Silkyara tunnel, which collapsed on November 12, overcame numerous setbacks, officials said.
The mission was ultimately completed on Tuesday evening thanks to the efforts of a group of “rat-hole” miners, who used hand-held drills to break through the rock.
INDIAN PRESIDENT
India’s President Droupadi Murmu wrote on social media platform X, formerly Twitter, that she was “relieved and happy” to hear the men had been freed.
She also praised the rescue effort, which she said was met with obstacles that had been “a testament of human endurance.”
The workers were greeted with wild cheers and flower garlands as they emerged from the tunnel.
Crowds waved banners reading “Bharat Mata ki Jai,” or “Long live mother India,” and set off firecrackers as the workers were pulled out.
The workers became stuck in the tunnel on 12 November when a landslide caused a portion of the 2.8-mile (4.5 kilometers) tunnel they were building in Uttarakhand state to collapse about 200m (650 feet) from the entrance.
They survived on food and oxygen supplied through narrow steel pipes for 17 days, authorities said. They will now face a period of recovery with their loved ones.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
The Trump administration has finalized a sweeping reciprocal trade agreement with Taiwan, confirming a 15 percent U.S. tariff rate on Taiwanese imports while securing broad new market access and purchase commitments for American goods.
Democrats are applauding White House border czar Tom Homan’s Thursday announcement that immigration enforcement operation in Minnesota will end next week.
Democrats in the U.S. Senate tanked the Homeland Security full-year funding bill in a last-ditch vote Thursday, all but guaranteeing a partial government shutdown starting Saturday.
Mourners in a remote Canadian town grappled Thursday with the aftermath of one of the country’s deadliest school shootings in decades, as families, survivors and leaders reacted to the tragedy that left eight victims — most of them children — dead, along with the 18-year-old suspect.
A gunman who opened fire at a school in southern Thailand’s Hat Yai city on Wednesday wounded a teacher and a student before being detained, authorities said, in a rare attack that sent students and staff into panic.
The Republican-led House of Representatives has passed the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) America Act, advancing legislation that would require proof of citizenship to register to vote and photo identification at the polls. The bill now heads to the Senate, where its future remains uncertain amid strong Democratic opposition.
Israel’s Ministry of Defense announced on Wednesday that its advanced David’s Sling air and missile defense system has completed a series of complex modernized tests, a development officials say bolsters the country’s defensive posture as tensions with Iran escalate and the United States prepares military options that could include direct strikes.