Islam (Arabic: الإسلام; al-islām) is a monotheistic religion based upon the Qur’an, which adherents believe was sent by God (Arabic: Allāh) through Muhammad. Followers of Islam, known as Muslims (Arabic: مسلم), believe Muhammad to have been God’s final prophet; most of them see the historic record of the actions and teachings of the Prophet Muhammad related in the Sunnah and Hadith as indispensable tools for interpreting the Qur’an. Like Judaism and Christianity, Islam is considered an Abrahamic religion. With a total of approximately 1.4 billion adherents, Islam is the second-largest religion in the world. The majority of Muslims are not Arabs (only 20 percent of Muslims originate from Arab countries). At current rates, Islam will soon become the second largest religion in the United States, and it is already the second largest faith in the UK.
Discover God’s Heart for Muslims
Are Muslims open to the gospel? God is at work redeeming those we have often wrongly feared. He wants to call them by his name!
• Islam is not the world’s fastest growing religion. Evangelical Christianity is!
• More Muslims have become followers of Jesus Christ in the last 25 years than in the previous 1250 years.
• Many Muslims are poor and illiterate. Their lives are filled with famine, disease, and war. How should we respond to the needs of Muslims in the name of Christ?
Where do Muslims live? Most Muslims are not Arabs, and most don’t even live in the Middle East.
• Only 20% of Muslims today speak Arabic.
• The four largest Muslim nations are Indonesia, Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh, each home to at least 100 million Muslims.
• About six million Muslims live in the U.S. Many are immigrants who grew up in Muslim families, but about one-third are American converts to Islam.
How do Muslims see Jesus Christ? Most Muslims are not radicals. In fact, they are deeply offended by the actions of radicals in the name of Islam.
• Muslims respect Jesus as a prophet of God, born of a virgin, who performed many miracles and will come again.
• The Qur’an mentions Jesus 93 times, calling him the Messiah, the Word of God, the Spirit of God, and the All Righteous One.
Surely God is at work in the Muslim world! While one out of every three non-Christians is a Muslim, only one out of every 12 missionaries works among Muslims. The opportunities are great. Learn more about Islam Mission and find out how to partner in God’s work of reaching Muslims with the gospel.